a special deal to learn 3D digital modelling at your own pace, in your own space. (Click here for access to PASSWORD PROTECTED INFORMATION)
Anarkik3D is collaborating with Applied Arts Scotland (AAS) to make loaning Anarkik3DDesign, with the haptic device, an affordable 3D modelling option for their Members. As the haptic device is essential to this programme – it both enables you to touch and feel in 3D as you manipulate and form your model, and to move the cursor in all directions – the reduced monthly loan fee package includes the hardware with the haptic 3D modelling software.
Why consider this opportunity for AAS Members? This collaboration with AAS is built on trust and shared values, and the shared aim of supporting creative and professional development among the maker community in Scotland. And this two-way trust means that you are not required to find and provide the returnable deposit on the hardware. Anarkik3D has also reduced the monthly fee to the extent that in just three months you will have saved the annual AAS Professional Membership subscription when compared to our main loan scheme for freelancers and sole traders. More information here about joining AAS and the benefits.
What are the joys of 3D digital designing? Here are good reasons to use 3D digital design and printing technologies for your practice.
- designing in 3D, with the right programme for you*, can make your ideas can come alive on the computer screen
- with 3D digital designing you can get closer to the physical forms you’re wanting to realize – but creating at the bench is still the best!
- 3D modeling can breathe life into your concepts: you can play, experiment, explore and manipulate your models and inspect them from every angle, and in a risk-free waste-free environment.
- Models can be developed and prototyped: you can try out and test different iterations using all the benefits of designing digitally
- spotting weaknesses and flaws in your models becomes much easier and saves on time and materials on trying to fix these at a later stage
- collaborating on designing with near and distant partners is so straightforward now for working through ideas with shared screens
- you can easily share your best designs with your colleagues, clients and customers: and easily communicate with all stakeholders
- 3D printing your digital models is straightforward and a viable method of producing final objects on demand and on commission
- Using digital technologies thoughtfully can reduce your carbon footprint: minimise waste, produce to order, print using eco materials
*Only by using the right 3D modelling (or CAD) programme for you can you make your ideas come alive on the computer screen.
- Anarkik3DDesign is fun to learn and use and is optimised for 3D printing
- it is straightforward to use and master: the interface is uncomplicated and the tools are selected for what we need for creating 3D forms
- 3D haptics, as touch and feel, brings a natural sense of interaction into a virtual three dimensional environment
- this natural sense of immersion and ease of use is the opening into the state of ‘flow’
- serendipity, absent from most CAD programmes, is a default: an essential quirk for creativity
- haptics as virtual touch just has to be tried to understand how essential it is to the way we work
- haptics taps into the way we interact with our materials, with our forms and our world: our sense of touch should not be absent when we work digitally
By loaning Anarkik3DDesign, with a haptic device, you have the opportunity to try a 3D modelling programme that’s been developed for applied artists and designer makers by a company lead by an applied artist – contemporary jeweller, Ann Marie Shillito. Her co-founder, Qiaoqing Cao, is both a computer scientist and artist and Anarkik3D collaborates with developers who understand the way we work and think as they too are involved in the arts. The result? Anarkik3DDesign works for us. It is about freeform 3D modelling and is NOT a CAD programme.
This is just merely touching on the qualities that Anarkik3DDesign brings to creating digitally. Anarkik3D’s website has images of work from different applied artists, a lot more information, both instructional and technical. Here are links to these:
For this opportunity for AAS Members you need to be a Professional Member of Applied Arts Scotland to take advantage of this offer. If you are already, you will have received an April 2022 Newsletter/ bulletin with the link and password to further information about loaning Anarkik3DDesign, about online support and the form to apply. Click here for AAS’s Members Opportunities page and scroll down to the article with the link and the password.